Sunday, December 12, 2010

With eyes wide open

The Bible proclaims "He who gives to the poor will not lack. But he who hides his eyes will have many curses." Pvb 28:27

I have learned that most homeless residents are invisible unless they step in front of you with a donation cup or wander into your church.

For years I was blind to the needs of those around me. Concerned with my own needs and the needs of my family there was very little time for the needs of others. An occasional coin for the Salvation Army bell ringer, money in the church basket or donating my old clothes seemed to satisfy my obligation.

Interesting, as I look back, it's plain to see that the harder I worked to provide for my family the less time and money I had to help others. Ever since I stopped hiding my eyes my heart is heavy and all of my needs are met. Those in need are no longer invisible to me and I no longer struggle to provide for my family. Trusting my heart has opened my eyes.

Those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing. Psm 34:10

I am grateful to those who bless Milestone Ministries so that we can serve others. Today the ministry was gifted warm blankets and soft pillows and by tonight they will be put to use.
Thank you.

No comments: