Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sadness over the loss of Pastor David Wilkerson


It has been a difficult season mourning the loss of our Pastor. A simple man and devoted husband, father, grandfather and truly a "man of God". I've only had the honor of meeting Pastor David a couple of times and every time I was in awe because of his simple loving kindness. He always seemed as glad to say hello to me as I to him. He was a spiritual giant while on this earth touching countless millions of lives. But a gentle spirit that beamed of love.

His ministry inspired my street ministry and love for those struggling with addiction and homelessness. I pray that our ministry "My Fathers House" will have an effect on the Palmer community that would make him proud.

I have fed on Pastor David's newsletters for about 15 years and his daily devotionals since they've begun. His sermons call me to action and challenge me to love with the heart of God and the mind of Christ.

The Sunday after his death my wife and I were compelled to travel to NY and worship at Times Square Church, the church founded by Pastor David in 1987. It was a perfect day to spend with Church family. I have attached the link to Pastor Carter Colon's Sunday sermon "a private moment for Times Square Church".  It was more clear than ever why Pastor David choose Carter as his senior Pastor and successor at TSC.....he is a good man with a truthful heart. TSC is in good hands.

My wife and I began worshiping at TSC back in 1996 and between 2002 and 2009 we make the 2 1/2 hour journey twice a month. We were hungry for the Truth and TSC always delivered. Cathy and I would always pray that Pastor David would be preaching the day we attended and when he did it was a great treat.  However, we quickly learned that it is the Spirit of God speaking at TSC and the preachers are only the vessels being used.

I loved a man that I barely knew....thank you Pastor David for lovingly and painfully saying yes to the call of God.

Alleluia for the gift of David Wilkerson.


1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'm sorry to hear about Pastor Wilkerson. I read his book, The Cross and the Switchblade, many, many years ago, and it stuck with me.