Wednesday, July 30, 2008



This is a photo of my friend Steven Donoghue. It was taken on the 4th of July 2008 at a picnic. At the time of this photo Steven was enjoying a full week of sobriety and was praying that it would continue. He was struggling to be free from the bondage of alcohol and this time he was sober 3 1/2 weeks.

Steve was brutally murdered on the streets of Springfield, MA early on Sunday morning.


On Monday the police arrested a man for the murder.



Please pray for Michael Forte, the man accused of his murder. Pray that he will seek the Lord for healing and salvation.

I am posting Steven's photo so that you will see him as a man, a brother, a friend, a child of God.....and not just "the homeless man who was killed."

A memorial service is being planned for next week..details to follow. By the volume of phone calls to my office and inquires on the streets of Springfield, I am sure that it will be well attended. Praise the Lord.

You see, Steven was well known in Springfield. Even the Mayor knew him by first name and was always kind to him. If you got to know Steven even for a few minutes he would charm you with a joke or song. He was a very intelligent man that understood the dangers of his disease and life on the street, but died before he could be delivered.
I am told that I am not the only one who could sit for hours and listen to Steve's tales of life on the street, his past and his desire to see homeless people treated with respect.

Steve would spend many days scouting the city for vacant buildings that could be turned into safe refuge for those who are living on the streets. It was his vision that our ministry would be able to obtain one of those buildings and offer a safe place where all are welcome and the peace of Christ prevails . Please continue to pray with me that God will provide the building, the funds and laborers to realize this vision.

I give glory to God for Steven's life and for all he taught me. I am grateful for having the opportuntiy to call Steven my friend!

God be glorified in these difficult days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just reading your blogs and they are great. This picture of Steve is very nice. As you share your stories I would like to share with you also.Steve was a good friend and he and I were also able to share much time together within the past 6 months or so. When I was last with him the Thursday morning before he left us on Sunday, he told me about the day you took this picture. He was so grateful for all that you and others have done for him. But what really meant the world to him was the picnic. He told me that this picnic was the first he had been to in x amount of years (it was a good amount) that he was sober for. He told me there was good company he enjoyed as well as good food. He got teary eyed as he again felt upset with himself that he picked up drinking when people such as you have been so kind to him. But the picnic seemed to be one of his fondest new memories made. Thank God that he got to have so much kindness and good coming to him towards the end of his days. He will be forever missed but is no doubt in a much better place. RIP Steve <3

-Sara R.

Unknown said...

Your words and pictures of Stevie were a wonderful tribute to an outstanding gentleman. I have worked with the homeless off and on for close to five years. Recently I had found myself struggling with the decision of possibly changing my carreer path. After spending a few weeks with Stevie recently I now have no doubt about continuing in this field, just for the possibilitiy of meeting someone like Stevie once again. Steven was a true gentleman.
RIP Stevie

Frank K.